The Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika came into
existence in 1859 and grew from the original five
churches to 388 churches in 2019, with a total of 254
ministers of the Word. The churches are spread right
across the RSA and also in Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
These churches are currently being served by 254
ministers, in approximately 15 languages. The GKSA
established its own theological school, founded in 1869
in Burgersdorp and operating since 1905 in
Potchefstroom. The Theological School Potchefstroom
(TSP) is staffed with 14 professors and three
administrative officials, connected to the Faculty of
Theology of the NWU, and has its own library.
Each Reformed congregation is an independent church that
proclaims the Word of the King, in obedience to Him, and
act according to His will for the church. Each
congregation is, therefore, called “Die Gereformeerde
Kerk …”. These churches as a whole form the denomination
of the Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika (GKSA) that
gather in major assemblies (classis, regional synod and
general synod) in mutual support of the fulfillment of
the calling of the church.
The GKSA operates from an efficient building complex
that includes a well-equipped auditorium and the
denomination’s archives. Ecumenical ties have been
established with churches in the USA, Scotland,
Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, the Congo,
Japan and Korea. The GKSA operates in accordance with
Holy Scripture, the three Formularies of Unity and the
Canons of Dordt.